The Hotel Portmeirion is a 4 star luxury hotel overlooking the sandy beaches of the Dwyryd Estuary in the beautiful Snowdonia area of North Wales. In 1925, Welsh architect Clough Williams-Ellis acquired the site which was to become Portmeirion.
He had been searching for a suitable site for his proposed ideal village for several years and when he heard that the Aber Iâ estate near Penrhyndeudraeth was for sale, he did not hesitate to make an offer. The hotel has 14 stylish bedrooms, some with lift access, a fine-dining restaurant, a bar and terrace and several relaxing lounges. Clough Williams-Ellis opened The Hotel Portmeirion at Easter, 1926 as the focal point for his proposed ideal village. He retained much of the Victorian interior including an intricate Italian fireplace, the grand Mirror Room, the library carvings from the Great Exhibition of 1851 and a grand eighteenth-century oak staircase. The bar and dining room were re-styled by Sir Terrence Conran in 2005 to recreate the atmosphere of Clough’s art deco walnut panelled rooms. The Hotel Portmeirion maintains a high standard of cuisine and excellent service in a magical setting. The Hotel has an open air swimming pool on the estuary lawn, open 10am to 5pm daily to 28th September.